A blog to share all things craft-y....crafts, home decor, sewing, party decor, diy projects, garden ideas, and various other adventures in creativity. We're glad you stopped by!

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Fabric Scrap Stash Buster - Mini Monsters

Hello craft blog!

Today for your reading pleasure a scrap fabric stash buster! AND...a craft made for BOYS! Those are hard to find. :-) Obviously, also easily made for girls too. Just switch up the color palette.

I spent some time recently sewing for a little guy's fourth birthday and whipped up this quick and easy mini monster to match the pajama pants I made for him.

The eyeballs were cut from the pajama fabric.

First step is to cut your front and back pieces.
Mine are approximately 9" tall by 6" wide.
Then, sew the face pieces on the front fabric.

Second step sew the arms and legs straps.
 
 For the legs and arms I took a 10" long by 4" wide strip of fabric, folded it down to 1" width, and sewed it as one piece around all four sides, then cut it in two and put the open ends inside the monster. Do this twice, once for arms and once for legs.

Third step tuck the arms and legs inside the monster, with front and back piece right sides facing each other, then sew around the perimeter with a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a two to three inch gap open for turning and stuffing.

Last step turn and stuff, then top stitch as close to the edge as you are comfortable going around the entire monster to close up the hole left for turning and stuffing. I used a zig zag stitch for this step just for fun.

The back of the monster.
Also, the fabric I used for his matching pj pants.

This was such a quick and easy project I whipped up another one for my nephew just because he asked.

He's a super helper and begged to do the stuffing himself.


My son in red on the left and my nephew in green on the right.

My mom made the blue monster for my son quite some time ago.

She's who I steal all my best ideas from. ;-)

This weekend I purchased the materials for my son's quilt and it is next up on the project block.

What have you been working on lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment